South Eastern Virginia Rocketry Association

South Eastern Virginia Rocketry Association
JUST GETTING HERE?? The Blogs are out of order...select the dates to the left....

Monday, July 28, 2008

The Electronic Sled

I am quickly realizing that developing a blog is almost as much work as building the Max. I have yet to figure out how to post pictures and allow you to open them up into the full size...looks like I'll need to do a little research (if there is anyone out there that is actually reading this, post a comment if you know how to do that)

Back to the project, after getting the electronics bay carcass made I focused my attention on making the sled for the electronics. With three all-thread's to attached to I will use two and maybe use the left over space to put in a camera or video recorder.



I initially decided to use brass tubing to fit over the all-thread but quickly found out that the slightest ding would prevent it from going over the post. I though about using the next size tube but it ended up being too loose and I did not want the sled moving around that much.



My next choice was plastic. Easy to cut, not dent or ding problems.






The placement was a little unprofessional because I had the brass tubes JB Welded earlier but when I accidentally dropped the sled all but one of the brass tubes popped off so the placements were a little out of alignment.



This photo shows the post I will be sliding the sled onto.


Here you can see the misalignment I talked about earlier.


With the plastic tubes in place I wanted to strengthen it up so I layed up some fiberglass. I had to use CA to keep the fiberglass tight around the curves.


Application of my blood red epoxy

Masking tape removed.




Now that my fiberglass has arrived and I have located a 75mm adapter I will begin work on the fin can and airframes...

1 comment:

Murdock said...

Where are you posting your pictures from? Check out my blog over at www.NeuroticApe.com and you can see how mine open full size. I can help you figure it out as well.

Murdock