South Eastern Virginia Rocketry Association

South Eastern Virginia Rocketry Association
JUST GETTING HERE?? The Blogs are out of order...select the dates to the left....

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Recovery Gear

With the cold weather coming through southern Virginia I have been placed on hold with anything dealing with epoxy. With that said I decided to look at the recovery gear...

I have 60' of tube nylon that I cut into (3) 20' sections. The two sections closest to the deployment charges I slid a 36" cord protector onto. In the past I had trouble with the loop around the eye bolt burning...

I cut an old cord protector and sewn it at the end of the new one...

Slid the shock cord in with the link...

...and tucked the protector in. Now the whole cord is better protected.


One thing I saw a friend do was to zig-zag the shock cord back and forth to keep the cord organized and prevent tangeling...


He then placed some tape around it to keep it inplace. With a few strategicly placed cuts...the force of the ejection tore the tape but only after it was all thrown clear of the air frame. Test fires in the back yard proved it worked smoothly.


Here was the simple jig I put together.


I also put together a 98-76 reducer.


This is where I had to stop work. I got the airframe coated with epoxy and W-410. I've sanded smooth and have a couple of spots to fill again. My garage isn't heated so I will need to wait till we get out of the 20's to continue...


Here is a run down of my deployment laundry: 36" chute to pull out the Main (attached to the nose cone U-Bolt). Next is the 15' chute inside the deployment bag. Next is 20' of shock cord.


Of course the shock cord will be attached to the forward end of the electronics bay.


On the drouge end I will have 40' of shock cord and a 5' drogue attached at the aft end of the electronics bay.

1 comment:

R2K said...

Great looking work here, that nylon strap looks pretty solid.

Best of luck with your L3.